Tuesday, March 23, 2010

My Kitty?

About a month ago, I was able to convince my parents to go all over the Wasatch Front to pet kitties at different adoption places. I plan on adopting a kitty when I move into my own apartment come Fall, so I was in no rush to adopt one immediately, I just wanted some pet therapy.

After a pretty sorry showing at the Layton Pet's Mart, we make our way to the Utah Animal Adoption Center on Redwood Road. We were lead to the cat room, and were all impressed once we stepped in! The cats who got along well enough with other cats were allowed to roam around, jump on their scratching posts, etc. The cats who have more of an independent personality were in large cages. It was very open and didn't smell like most adoption places. The moment we walked in, some of the cats approached us and began rubbing their heads on our pant legs! It was so sweet! I went around to the kitties in the cages and they were all so precious! It was the perfect cat therapy!

While we were there, my mom decided that our cat, Hardy, needed a friend. She asked which cats were declawed and my mom fell in love with a cat, who is about 10 years old, and looks exactly like Hardy! She is healthy, has a beautiful coat and is named Sparkle! She has different colors eyes and was SUPER shy! When we went to pet her, she got out of her bed, much to the surprise of the ladies who work there! One said, "I am not saying this to sell this cat, but she NEVER gets out of her bed!" I am pretty it was at that moment, my mom and I knew we would adopt her.

After a week of talking with my dad and getting him used to the idea that Hardy needed a girlfriend (he never really agreed with this...) my mom and I were ready to make our move! I was coming down for the weekend and my mom and I had planned for me to go home, get Billy and Dad then meet her at the adoption place. As I pulled into the driveway, my brother comes out saying, "All I did was ask if he wanted to go somewhere! He immediately said 'Oh no! I have to call Mom!'" How funny! My dad totally saw it coming!

We make it to the place before my mom, and are all giving Sparkle some love. My mom shows up, less than 5 minutes later she announces that we would like to adopt Sparkle. The ladies reminded us that Sparkle would probably hide for the first couple of weeks. We should keep food and water around her hiding space, and hopefully she would warm up eventually! A half hour later, we walked out with Sparkle and headed to PetCo!

After stocking up on all the essentials, we made it home. The plan was to let Sparkle out in my room, with the door closed, and let her get used to one room at a time. Hardy met Sparkle, and the hisses flew! Hardy ran out of the room, appalled that we would introduce another cat to the household!

Now that it has been a few months, Sparkle is able to venture all over the house, but she mostly stays upstairs. She has claimed my room as hers, and even my parents will say comments like "I was in Sparkle's room today..." Hardy has earned the nickname of "PoopFace" for not being a more welcoming host, and tried to avoid Sparkle like the plague. Occasionally I will see Sparkle following Hardy around, Hardy cannot stand it... its hilarious! I think they will warm up to each other eventually and be the best of friends.

However... and I guess this is the whole reason why I even started this... I am thinking I might just adopt Sparkle from my parents and have her move with me. She is so sweet, she cuddles, loves to be loved, and has a personality that would be nice to come home to everyday. Of course, this thought might change, but I would love to be her roommate!

I will post pictures of her soon!

1 comment:

  1. I want to meet Sparkle! If you adopt her then I can be her auntie when I come down to visit on the weekends. Love you :)

    ReplyDelete