The past weekend, I attended the University of Utah's Graduate Visitation Weekend. It started Thursday with a campus tour lead by graduate ME students. It was so much different than a campus tour given to incoming freshmen. We only hit the places grad and engineering students are interested in. It was fun! Plus the grad students were surprisingly entertaining.
I am not going to go into every detail, but I will give the highlights! I was able to see several labs including the nano-fab lab, ergonomics, and the micro fluids area. I was also able to talk with several professors. Dr. Ameel is the department head and is also heading a lot of research in the mirco-fluids/micro-thermal systems. This stuff was by far the most interesting to me. Although he does not have funding for a masters student, he does have projects. The most realistic option is that I will get a TA position for an undergrad class and get money that way. Although this is not ideal, there is very little money for a student not committing to a PhD.
I loved the campus, the engineering building, the professors and other grad students. I felt very welcome and wanted. I am pretty confident I will move to Salt Lake. Also, the seed has been planted in my head that getting a PhD might be a good idea... I am not committing to anything but the thought is there.
No comments:
Post a Comment