A couple of months ago, I told my mom I wish I could do something for the troops overseas. I just wanted to let them know that there are still people over here thinking of them and are grateful for their sacrifice. My mom suggested looking into writing letters. She said there are lots of websites out there who send letters to soldiers.
So I found Soldiers Angles. This site seemed popular and trustworthy. I looked into it more and ended up adopting a soldier. As an "angel" I am to write a weekly letter to my soldier and send him a care package every month. I was ready to make this small sacrifice to show him how much he is appreciated.
The only information I received was his name and APO address. (According to the website, I am not to give out any of his information...) They included an email address, but I am determined to write and mail letters every week.
I started in January of this year. The website warned that I may never hear from my soldier but to continue to write and send packages. The first few letters were easy, I am introducing myself, telling him about a funny story that happened in school, etc. But after a while, and only knowing his name, I was running out of things to talk about. I kept writing about my cats... which I can only imagine how he reacted to those!
Well, last Sunday I woke up ready for a full day of studying for my CFD test. I checked my email (as is a morning ritual) and I had actually gotten an email from my soldier! I had included my email address in my letters with the disclaimer "I understand that you are really busy, and don't feel pressured into writing me back, but if you have a spare minute, I would love to hear from you." And here... was an email from him! I was very excited.
He did not tell me much actually. I do not know his age, what branch of the military he is in or where he is now (I am not sure they are suppose to tell us that anyway). I know where he is from, where he went to college (but not what he studied) and that he just likes food. Quite vague, but I felt so inspired. It felt like my letters were doing more than just going into the Postal Service black hole. It takes about 10-12 days to get a letter out there, so he won't get my response for another week... but it was very special. I feel like I am doing what I can to give back... even if it is just a package full of beef jerky and candy. :)
No comments:
Post a Comment